A MAN who abused Gardai and then insisted they talk to him in Irish has been ordered to make a donation to a GAA charity.Letterkenny District Court heard that Brian Bradley had become abusive to Gardai as they dealt with a public order incident in the town on May 16th this year.Inspector David Kelly told Judge Paul Kelly that 26-year-old Bradley, from Sliabh Sneacht Road, Letterkenny, had failed to heed warnings from gardai. Two men had been arguing on the Ramelton Road and gardai had told both of them to leave the area.“One of the men left but Mr Bradley repeatedly forced his way into the situation despite repeated calls for him to also move on,” said Inspector Kelly.“When Bradley was asked for his name, he refused to give in English, insisting on giving his name in Irish and asking to be addressed ‘as gaeilge’,” said the inspector.“But when Mr Bradley was asked to spell his name, he couldn’t. Garda Molloy who was at the scene and who is a native Irish speaker soon ascertained that Mr Bradley didn’t have any grasp of the Irish language at all.”Solicitor Patsy Gallagher said his client, who works part-time as a shop assistant, had been mortified by his actions the next day.He spent the next three days trying to contact Garda McKenna and Garda Molloy to apologise for his behaviour, eventually speaking with one of them and apologising to him.The solicitor said that Bradley had become involved because a friend had been assaulted.He pleaded with the judge to be lenient with Bradley who had no previous convictions and had done something “totally out of character.”Judge Paul Kelly told Bradley: “Gardai have enough on their hands dealing with public order incidents in Letterkenny without you intruding in what they are doing.“Gardai are well capable of dealing with such incidents without your help.”He ordered Bradley to make a €150 donation to the St Eunan’s Ladies U-14 football team which is playing in the All-Ireland Feile this weekend.IRISH LANGUAGE BLUFFER ORDERED TO MAKE DONATION TO FEILE GAA TEAM was last modified: June 25th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:IRISH LANGUAGE BLUFFER ORDERED TO MAKE DONATION TO FEILE GAA TEAM
December 25, 2019
He recommended a central classification system be created to prevent this mixing. Since Bobb’s report, sheriff’s Correctional Services Division Chief Marc Klugman said, officials have installed security cameras, hired 55 additional deputies and purchased a scanning system to track inmate movements. “It’s a lot of money, but $20 million is a fraction of what we’re going to pay when somebody comes in, sues us, gets a consent decree and the Justice Department comes in and whatever other parade of horrible is going to happen as we continue to have these incidents,” Yaroslavsky said. Troy Anderson, (213) 974-8985 [email protected] 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! A year after Special Counsel Merrick Bobb identified serious deficiencies in the Los Angeles County Jail system, inmates remain at high risk of assaults and deaths, officials said Tuesday. Supervisor Gloria Molina said that, if the Sheriff’s Department had followed the recommendation’s in Bobb’s confidential November 2004 report, Chad Cochran – who was brutally kicked and stomped to death last month at Men’s Central Jail – would probably still be alive. “Many of the recommendations that would have prevented this situation have not been put into place,” Molina said. “You’re in the process of doing something, but for the most part, there doesn’t seem to be a sense of urgency to get it done. “I don’t want to be here next October and have potentially two, three or six more deaths that cost us a couple of million of dollars when if we would have had some of these recommendations put in place it would have prevented this situation.” AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals Cochran, a mentally ill nonviolent offender who was moved from the Twin Towers mental health facility to the nearby jail that houses hundreds of violent offenders and murderers, is one of eight inmates killed at the downtown jail in the last two years. Undersheriff Larry Waldie said the slaying occurred when the deputy left the area for 20 minutes to help search of a nearby room where several knives were found. “When you are talking about murderers, they’ll take a (knife) and will kill you in jail even before we open the doors and get in there,” Waldie said. “The environment of the jail does not allow us to provide 100 percent protection to protect every single individual.” Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky’s said Bobb’s report found the string of jailhouse murders could be traced to failures over movement of inmates and a collapse of security procedures and safety checks. Bobb wrote these failures came about because of lax supervision and a long-standing jail culture that has shortchanged accountability for inmate safety and security. Bobb added that insufficient attention is paid to the differing levels of danger posed by mixing low- and medium-risk inmates with highly dangerous ones.
November 16, 2019
Share on WhatsApp Share via Email Topics Support The Guardian Since you’re here… Share on LinkedIn “Our Invictus family has turned these Games into a symbol of strength, honour and optimism for a new generation.”A regular championship for injured servicemen and women was an idea begging to be stolen, Harry said when he originally launched the Invictus Games.He played an instrumental role in bringing the Games to the UK in 2014, when 300 competitors from 13 countries took part in the inaugural competition.Named after Invictus, Latin for “unconquered”, the Games are being held in the southern hemisphere for the first time. Read more Prince Harry has opened the Invictus Games in Sydney, where more than 500 competitors will be taking part in 13 sports.It is the fourth Invictus Games to be held, following similar events in London, Orlando and Toronto.The prince, accompanied by the Australian prime minister, Scott Morrison, a Games ambassador and three athletes, climbed Sydney Harbour Bridge to raise the Invictus flag on the eve of the Games.The ceremony was delayed by heavy rain about two hours before it was due to start.During the ceremony, the prince said: “Invictus has become about the example of service and dedication our competitors have provided to the world. Invictus Games Reuse this content Prince Harry Guardian Today: the headlines, the analysis, the debate – sent direct to you Share on Twitter … we have a small favour to ask. More people, like you, are reading and supporting the Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many news organisations, we made the choice to keep our reporting open for all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay. Whether we are up close or further away, the Guardian brings our readers a global perspective on the most critical issues of our lifetimes – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the influence of big tech on our lives. We believe complex stories need context in order for us to truly understand them. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.We hope you will consider supporting us today. We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism that’s open and independent. Every reader contribution, however big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. Share on Messenger Sydney news Share on Pinterest Share on Facebook