LAUREL, Ind. – The Franklin County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a shooting that hospitalized a Laurel man Tuesday morning.Around 6:20 a.m., dispatchers received a report of a man that had been shot at the address of 110 Edgerton St. in Laurel.Officers located Dwight Jones, 59, with a gunshot wound lying inside of a pick-up truck.A 36-year-old male person of interest was detained for questioning. His identity was not immediately released.Police say they are investigating the incident as domestic violence-related, not an act of random violence.Jones was rushed to Fayette Regional Hospital before being flown to St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis.He is listed as stable but critical condition.
August 26, 2020
Naturally, the job didn’t just come open by accident.Prime Ticket, with the Clippers’ input, decided not to renew the contract of longtime Lawler sidekick Michael Smith. They had been paired the past 14 seasons, and Smith logged 19 seasons overall going back to radio. The former Los Altos High of Hacienda Heights star football, basketball and volleyball player who became a two-time WAC player of the year at BYU spent the last of his three-year run in the NBA as a Clippers backup forward in 1994-95.Smith had something of an uninhibited, sidetracked style that played to mixed reviews off Lawler’s straight-man call. It once got them in a bit of trouble for insensitive remarks, leading to an awkward suspension in 2009. Off the court, Smith also went through the accusation of grand theft in a real estate case, which a jury acquitted him of in 2010.“The Clippers are a dynamic team and made a lot of moves in the off season, and this one just one of them,” said Nick Davis, the FSW/Prime Ticket/FSSD executive producer. “I loved working with him and we want to thank him for his contributions.”Lawler, whose previous game analyst partners have included Stu Lantz, Hubie Brown, Mike Fratello, Junior Bridgeman and Bill Walton, said that “Mike had the longest run, and he’s a very bright guy who I know will find a new interesting chapter in his life. It may be hard to see that right away but I think things will work out fine for him.”Davis said Bowen’s name came up through a search of the Fox’s national talent office, understanding his ESPN contract had just expired. On Sept. 8, Bowen flew in from his home in San Antonio, and Lawler flew in from his offseason home in Bend, Ore., to call a quarter of a Clippers-Jazz game from mid-March last regular season, one that had an impact on the team’s playoff seeding.“We put together some names, and were looking for someone who could make a difference on the broadcast, had a great personality and could add to the pre- and postgame conversation, and Bruce checked every box,” said Davis, who knew Bowen at ESPN when Davis was a producer on MLB studio shows.“That 1,000-megawatt personality really came though.”HOW IT ALL FITSBowen may have aced the test, but he also had to decide if he could commit to a full season of broadcasts from October through April. He coaches both the basketball teams of his grade-school sons, Ojani (12) and Ozmel (10), in San Antonio. If not, the Clippers were prepared to reach out to others – TNT’s Reggie Miller, who lives nearby in Malibu, as well as longtime studio analyst Don MacLean – to help fill some gaps. Bowen says he’ll have to take some strange red-eye flights, but he’s all in.When Bowen went back to Fullerton finish a degree in communications in 2004, during a run where he was to be part of three NBA championships with the Spurs in a eight-year stretch, he didn’t know how it would work out for his post playing career. He was some 12 units short of graduation when his basketball eligibility expired in 1993, and then went undrafted in the NBA.Based on how some in the media had sized him up as a “dirty player” because of his tenacious defensive-minded playing style, it’s interesting that he has gravitated toward a media gig, one that he makes sure he doesn’t fall into any wrong characterization of players that he’s talking about.“I don’t blame the media for anything, even with that ‘dirty player’ stuff, but I just wish they paid attention to more things,” Bowen said. “I’ll stand by what I say, but you don’t have to tear down players to get your point across. I’m always looking to every opportunity to delve into the game on a different level and give people something different to see, a new experience. I’m happy to have this great opportunity to continue the process of having an impact with the game.”And with that, comes his bow tie collection, which he estimates to number in the 70 range at last count.“Why wouldn’t I? It’s my staple, man,” Bowen said of the ties that tie in to the spelling of his name. “I have plenty in my stash that accommodate Clippers colors.”More Q&A with Bowen at www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth.MEASURING MEDIA MAYHEMWHAT SMOKES== ESPN’s promotion of Doris Burke to a full-time NBA game analyst comes within a time frame when the Washington Wizards hired Kara Lawson and the Brooklyn Nets brought in Sarah Kustok as part of the main broadcast team for their season-long cable packages. Upon Lawson’s hiring, CSN Mid-Atlantic president Rebecca Schulte said: “There was a time when people would expect female announcers to sound like their male counterparts. When they hear Kara, they are going to hear a smart, knowledgeable analyst talking about their team.” Burke, who never set out to be a broadcaster but has become one of the network’s most versatile talents, agrees with that assessment. “I absolutely feel we’re past the point of a women’s voice in the analyst chair as being foreign to viewers,” said Burke, who will do the Lakers-Sacramento exhibition game from Las Vegas on Oct. 8. “I would say I felt a significant change in that regard for the last five years. I’ve also noticed that if I see or hear criticism, it has less to do with a women’s gender than it does with her style, and we know that in this industry, it can be very subjective.”WHAT CHOKES== The immediate blowback Sports Illustrated received this week for its decision to Photoshop together an array of sports figures linking arms in protest under the headline “A nation divided; sports united” – and fail to include Colin Kaepernick — was predictable. SI executive editor Stephen Cannella tried to explain in an SI.com video post, saying that “in some ways, even though his picture’s not there, Kaepernick is there …” Credit Golden State Warriors star Steph Curry, one of the 10 shown on the cover, for speaking up: “I thought that was terrible. It’s kind of capitalizing on the hoopla, the media and all that nonsense … If you don’t have Kaepernick front and center on that, something’s wrong. It’s kind of hard to see how certain narratives take place, being prisoners of the moment.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error To hear it from those most involved in the decision-making process, Bruce Bowen quickly emerged as the top candidate to land the role as the new Clippers TV analyst that opened up this past offseason. One simple audition, one quarter of calling a game off a monitor, and there was no tie-breaking procedure needed.But had there been, Bowen’s commitment to his trademark bow tie during the telecasts could have put a ribbon on the package deal.Although the 13-season NBA pro out of Cal State Fullerton has limited live game experience as an analyst – he did some of it on occasion during his run primarily as a studio analyst at ESPN – Bowen’s brief run-through with Ralph Lawler less than a month ago more than impressed the team and execs at Fox Sports West, Prime Ticket and Fox Sports San Diego.Still, the 46-year-old Bowen wasn’t so sure of how it was going to be received. “If you do your best – and I felt I did – you don’t know which way it will go, and I wasn’t going to try to guesstimate,” Bowen said this week from the Clippers’ training camp in Honolulu, where he and Lawler will debut together live when the Clippers face Toronto twice on Prime Ticket, Sunday night (7:30 p.m.) and then Tuesday night (10 p.m.).“Some may have liked it, some may have thought it was corny. It was out of my control.”Well, not really.“It went so well we could hardly believe it,” said Lawler, about to start his 39th season as the Clippers’ play-by-play man. “It felt as if we’d been working together for 20 years. He’s an absolute natural.”AS ONE DOOR OPENS …
December 18, 2019
20 November 2012Dachser South Africa, the local division of the global logistics service provider and transport company, has opened a branch in Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape province.This is Dachser’s fourth South African branch office, adding to locations in Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town.“This office has been in the pipeline for some time, driven by expanding opportunities in the Eastern Cape,” managing director of Dachser South Africa, Detlev Duve, said in a statement last week.Dachser plans to harness the opportunities brought by the continuous growth in the logistics industry in the Eastern Cape since the inception of the Port of Ngqura, approximately 20 kilometres northeast of Port Elizabeth at the mouth of the Coega River.“It is important to us to offer our customers, particularly in the automotive industry, a transport solution and a connection to our global logistics network from Port Elizabeth to the rest of South Africa,” said managing director Dachser Air & Sea Logistics, Thomas Reuter.Harold Thomas has been appointed manager of the Port Elizabeth branch office. With more than 30 years of experience in the freight industry, Thomas will lead a team of highly skilled staff recruited from the Port Elizabeth area.“Dachser South Africa is committed to employing and training local staff. Job creation will continue to be important to us, especially given the high unemployment rate in the region,” Duve said.Dachser was founded by Thomas Dachser in Kempten, Germany in 1930 as a haulage company. It has since grown to include offices in the rest of Europe, Asia, the United States, South America, as well as South Africa.SAinfo reporter
November 30, 2019
HONG KONG EASTERN 92 – Standhardinger 26, Elliott 25, Lamb 23, Moss 10, Xu 4, Lee 2, Tang 2, Wu 0, Lau 0.TANDUAY ALAB PILIPINAS 89 – Okosa 28, Parks 17, Johnson 17, Urbiztondo 14, Sumalinog 9, Domingo 2, Maierhofer 2, Hontiveros 0, Raymundo 0, Celiz 0, Javelona 0.Quarters: 24-18, 54-43, 73-68, 92-89. Kris Aquino ‘pretty chill about becoming irrelevant’ Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH ‘Quick adjustment’ for returning Blatche Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles01:10Hong Kong’s leader rejects ‘police state’ label01:44Opposition heckles lead Hong Kong leader to abandon policy speech01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Read Next Josh Urbiztondo had one last shot to force overtime, but he missed a desperation three from halfcourt at the buzzer.The Fil-German forward topped Hong Kong Eastern with 26 points, 14 rebounds, four assists, and two steals.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutReigning ASEAN World MVP Marcus Elliott posted a near triple-double with 25 markers, nine dimes, and eight boards, while ASEAN Heritage MVP Tyler Lamb tallied 23 points on 3-of-6 shooting from threes that went with three assists and two rebounds.It was a gallant stand for the rejigged Alab crew, which fought back from 15 points down, 63-48, in the third quarter and even took a 74-73 lead with 8:07 remaining in the payoff period after Bobby Ray Parks Jr. completed a three-point play. MOST READ CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 CONTRIBUTED PHOTODefending champion Hong Kong Eastern Sports Club proved to be the steadier team in the endgame as they held off Tanduay Alab Pilipinas, 92-89, in the 2017-2018 ASEAN Basketball League Sunday at Mall of Asia Arena.Christian Standhardinger showed why he is indeed one of the biggest recruits this year, scoring the final four baskets, the last of which an undergoal stab with 5.3 seconds to spare to hold off the Philippine side in his ABL debut.ADVERTISEMENT Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa LATEST STORIES Hong Kong, though, answered back with a 9-0 run to bring the lead back to eight, 82-74 with 5:45 left, as Standhardinger finished off the game and halt Alab’s late comeback bid.Reggie Okosa carried Alab Pilipinas with 28 points, 12 rebounds, and two blocks, while Parks came alive after a listless first half and poured in 16 of his 17 markers in the last two quarters.Ivan Johnson got 17 points, 15 boards, three dimes, and two steals before fouling out with 3:23 remaining in the game.Tanduay Alab Pilipinas returns to action on November 29 against Singapore Slingers at Sta. Rosa Multi-Purpose Complex in Sta. Rosa, Laguna.The scores:ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
November 7, 2019
The Wests Tigers have caused a boil-over in the first round of the Men’s NRL Touch Premiership defeating the Parramatta Eels 7-4 in convincing fashion.As it was with the Womens game the Men took some time to hit their stride and it was Dylan Hennessey who was first to make his mark on ANZ Stadium with a trademark long-ball to Luke Mansour for the Eels to go 1-0 up.The Tigers settled into the match the better and looked to level the score up through veteran Steve Roberts but a desperate touch on the line denied him and the Tigers from their opening try. They weren’t to be denied two minutes later as they kept pressuring the Eels line and with back to back tries to James Blackwood and Rob Nakhla they found themselves in front.Alex Nicholls levelled it up shortly after sending the two sides to the break at 2 apiece, a score line the Parramatta side would have gladly taken.Jake Grech gave the visitors a 3-2 lead in the first set after the resumption; a lead the Tigers would not give up.Australian Mens captain Nick Good dived over between defenders to take them out to 4-2 but the lead was quickly cut back to one with Dylan Hennessey scoring five minutes into the second half. The Eels however couldn’t quite stay in touch with the more experienced Tigers side and it was experience that paid off at the other end with Steve Roberts this time getting the nod from referee Rob Bowen as he stretched out to score.The Tigers extended the lead to 7-3 through Aussie Mixed captain, Cameron Nicholls and Scott Buckley who miraculously recovered from a calf injury picked up through the week to take his place in the side.Jed Ibbotson capped off the scoring when he crossed late in the game for the Eels but the night belonged to the Tigers who fired a shot across the bow of the rest of the competition with a dominant performance and a 7-4 opening round victory.
October 28, 2019
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Southampton midfielder Will Smallbone thrilled with new dealby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveSouthampton midfielder Will Smallbone has signed a new contract.The 18 year-old has penned terms to 2021.“It’s amazing, I’ve been at the club now for quite a while so it feels good to first be offered a contract and then to get it signed,” he said, “it’s a dream come true.”“It’s a really proud moment for my family; I remember I got the call after the Manchester United game and Craig Fleming told me that they were looking to offer me a new contract. I told my mum straight away and she was just so proud.”Smallbone added: “Hopefully with the new manager coming in, if I keep playing well then I can catch the eye and try make my debut with the first team as soon as I can.”