“Each Member State, observer State and the European Union can submit a pre-recorded statement of its Head of State, Vice-President, Crown Prince or Princess, Head of Government, Minister or Vice-Minister, which will be played in the General Assembly Hall … after introduction by their representative who is physically present,” according to the decision.Traditionally hundreds of events are also held on the sidelines of the UN debate, but General Assembly President Tijjani Muhammad-Bande wrote in a letter to states that they were “encouraged to move all side events to virtual platforms to limit the footprint and number of people in the UN building.”The coronavirus has infected at least 15.1 million people and there have been more than 619,000 known deaths worldwide, according to a Reuters tally. New York was a global epicenter earlier this year for the virus, which emerged in China late last year.As UN host country the United States agreed to grant entry to leaders and diplomats from all UN member states. However, diplomats say it regularly limits the delegation size of some of its adversaries, like Iran.While North Korea’s Kim has met three times with US President Donald Trump since 2018 for now-stalled denuclearization talks, he has never traveled to the United States as leader or taken part in the UN General Assembly.The country’s former foreign minister, Ri Yong Ho, traveled to New York to address the United Nations from 2016 to 2018, but he did not attend last year. North Korea’s UN mission did not immediately respond to a request for comment on whether Kim would send a video statement for this year’s high-level meeting. World leaders will send videos instead of physically gathering at the United Nations in September due to the coronavirus pandemic, the General Assembly decided on Wednesday, a move that paves the way for people wary of traveling to the United States – like North Korean ruler Kim Jong Un – to participate.The annual high-level meeting had been shaping up to be a week-long celebration of the 75th anniversary of the world body, but UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres suggested in May that leaders send video statements due to likely travel issues.The 193-member General Assembly agreed on Wednesday to the special measures. Topics :
September 25, 2020
The suspect was detained in the lockupcell of the Silay City police station. Charges for violation of Republic Act9165, or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 will be filed againstDalida./PN Dalida was caught after he soldsuspected shabu to an undercover officer around 3:35 p.m. on Dec. 3, the policeadded. BACOLOD City – Suspected shabuweighing about eight grams valued around P120, 000 was seized in a buy-bustoperation in Barangay Mambulac, Silay City, Negros Occidental. Aside from the suspected shabu, acellphone, P500 marked money and drug paraphernalia were also confiscated. The 43-year-old Leonardo BelarminoDalida yielded the suspected illegal drugs, police said.
September 17, 2020
Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on February 2, 2014 at 5:10 pm Contact Josh: [email protected] Twice in two days, the Atlantic Coast Conference Preseason Players of the Year proved to fans at the Carrier Dome just how talented they are.On Saturday against Duke, C.J. Fair finished with 28 points. On Sunday, the recipient of the women’s preseason award — Maryland’s Alyssa Thomas — recorded a triple-double with 11 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists.A season-high 1,312 fans were on hand to watch Thomas’ performance, as the senior led the No. 8 Terrapins (17-4, 5-3 ACC) to an 89-64 victory over Syracuse (16-6, 5-4) at the Carrier Dome on Sunday. A combination of Maryland’s speed and Syracuse’s tired legs didn’t bode well for the Orange, as the Terrapins snuck behind the Orange defense time and time again.“We’re a running team. That’s who we are,” Maryland head coach Brenda Frese said. “I thought we did a really good job of that in the first half, making a lot of easy plays, and a lot of unselfish plays. The extra pass for dump downs for layups, that’s who we are. That’s when we’re at our best, is in transition.”Three days after a tough win over No. 6 North Carolina, Syracuse was overmatched and outhustled against Maryland from the outset. Terrapins guard Lexie Brown made 11-of-13 shots from the field and scored a team-high 31 points, and guard Shatori Walker-Kimbrough made 7-of-9 and finished with 17.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“You’re not going to beat a team when they shoot (61.4) percent from the field and you shoot in the 30s,” Syracuse head coach Quentin Hillsman said. “That’s the game. They just didn’t miss many shots.”The Orange jumped out to a four-point lead, but Maryland answered with a 10-0 run highlighted by a drive from Thomas straight through the SU defense for an easy two points.Much like Hillsman has done recently, he used quicker centers Briana and Bria Day to help with transition defense. Briana Day played more minutes than starting center Shakeya Leary, and Bria Day played 11. Hillsman also relied on a two point guard set of Alexis Peterson and Cornelia Fondren, hoping to combine his most explosive point guard with his most defensively adept one.Still, the Terrapins were able to grab rebounds and push the ball. If the initial Maryland rush up the floor was stopped, it still kept the SU defense on its heels.In the first half, Maryland scored eight fast-break points and 22 points in the paint, and took a 46-29 lead at the half.“They just weren’t getting back in transition defense,” Brown said. “Usually I like to stay up and get the ball, but we were getting rebounds and just throwing it ahead. Everyone was running today.”Hillsman was impressed by Brown’s play.“Lexie was incredible tonight,” Hillsman said. “She made shots that she hadn’t made all season. But she’s very capable. She’s a very good basketball player and she did everything she could to keep them in the game.”In the second half, it was much of the same. Midway through the half, Syracuse point guard Rachel Coffey threw an inbounds pass directly to Katie Rutan, who took the ball coast to coast for an easy two points to put the Terrapins up 72-44.“I feel like definitely in the second half we didn’t get back fast enough on defense,” Briana Day said. “We let up easy buckets. We tried to clog the lane. We just didn’t do a good job.”Maryland finished with 21 fast-break points and 40 points in the paint.Brittney Sykes scored a team-high 22 points for the Orange. But Brianna Butler and Taylor Ford were the next highest scorers for the Orange, with nine apiece.Said Sykes: “I wouldn’t say that we’re getting tired out. Obviously playing in the ACC takes a toll on your body…So sometimes, yeah, we are a little fatigued, but we just have to fight through it. This is the sport we love, and we’re gonna fight through it.”
January 11, 2020
“That opportunity disappears if I can’t deliver the property by Jan. 1, 2008,” he said. However, the existing buildings cannot be used for a commercial development, he said. “The office building is 3,000 square feet and that’s too small for a restaurant,” Byerrum said. “It sits on a solid concrete foundation, making it impossible to install plumbing or drains.” The city code sets nine criteria for determining if a building falls under its local official register of historic resources. If one of the criteria is met, the buildings can’t be demolished. The Historic Resources Commission on a 3-0 vote with one abstention ruled that some or all of the buildings were representative of a historic period, exemplified an architectural style (art deco), has a unique location, are connected with a use that was common but now rare and were the site of a historic event. Jeff Collier, Whittier’s director of community development, said city staff doesn’t believe any of the buildings qualify as a historic resource. Collier said the buildings weren’t significant architecturally or the site of important events. [email protected] (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3022 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WHITTIER – Three early-1900s buildings have sparked debate between local preservationists who want to save them and their owner, a water company that wants to demolish them to make way for a new retail development. The issue went to the City Council Tuesday night, but no decision had been made as of press time. The council was taking up an appeal of a Whittier Historic Resources Commission April 11 ruling that the California Domestic Water Co. can not demolish its 1934 office, 1932 pump house and a 1921 single-family residence. All three are on 3.16-acres on Whittier Boulevard across from the Whittwood Town Center. Preservationists said the buildings need to be saved and can be reused as part of a commercial development. “We are asking to preserve those \ that indicate our civic pride, history and character as a community,” said Sally Schacht, member of the Historic Resources Commission. “Adaptive reuse is the No. 1 engine driving redevelopment and new development in this country,” Schacht said. But Jim Byerrum, president of California Domestic Water Co., said his company has a chance to develop part of its site. “There is an opportunity – not for another fast-food restaurant – but for a business that will be another destination point and attract residents from other communities,” Byerrum said.
September 16, 2019
Jason Gray wasn’t happy that he had to pay $150 for a Weyerhaeuser Co. access permit to go elk hunting last week.But Gray wasn’t complaining after he got a 4-by-5-point bull the first day of the season on Weyco land near Toutle.Does he think the $150 was worth it? “Since I have this, yes,” he said, showing off his big bull at Harry Gardner Park last week.Unlike Gray, however, many longtime local hunters who contacted The Daily News have decided to skip hunting this year because of the Weyerhaeuser permit. The Daily News asked to hear from hunters whose plans were changed by the company’s permit requirement, and 20 hunters responded.“I am not hunting deer, elk or grouse for the first time in nearly 50 years,” Jerry Sessions of Castle Rock said in an email. “This is due to the fees charged for access to Weyerhaeuser and other private land.”This is the first year that Weyerhaeuser has charged $150 for access to much of its land around Longview, including prime elk habitat. In one sign of its unpopularity, a Facebook page called “Sportsmen Not Buying Weyerhaeuser Permits” has more than 2,000 members.Still, several hunters told the newspaper the fee was only one factor in their decision not to hunt this year. The spread of elk hoof disease and the related decline of the herd size were other oft-cited factors. Several hunters said they felt slighted by a company they had worked for, while others complained that hunting will become unaffordable.Gray, who used to live in Longview but now lives in Orting, Wash., didn’t know about the Weyerhaeuser permits until he came down here to hunt.