However, the Board also said 56 schemes had yet to submit any funding proposal as of April, less than one-fifth of the funds required to clarify their approach, according to minister for Social Protection Joan Burton.Burton last July told Irish parliamentarians 212 of 300 funds had failed to meet the 30 June deadline, while the Board’s chief executive Brendan Kennedy said that, by August, the figure had fallen to just 120.In its annual report, the Board indicated that it took a dim view of failure to submit funding proposals.“Under the Pensions Act, the Board has powers in such cases to oblige trustees to reduce benefits or, since 2013, to wind-up the scheme,” it said.“These are powers that will not be used lightly, but the Board does have a legal obligation to oversee the funding standard, and we will examine the outstanding schemes on a case-by-case basis and use these powers where we consider it to be appropriate.”The Board also issued fines worth a total of €36,000 over the course of the last year – including two for schemes late in supplying actuarial certificates and one for both the late submission of the actuarial funding certificate and documents outlining how it would meet the 10% risk reserve requirement.The regulator is not only concerned with the oversight of DB schemes, with Kennedy emphasising the importance of a functioning defined contribution (DC) market.“Among our concerns are costs borne by members, especially in smaller schemes; inefficiencies; investment choices and defaults; and member information,” he said. The Board’s report also noted that the potential introduction of a mandatory or semi-compulsory pension framework, as suggested by the OECD, the “single greatest change to occupational pensions in a generation”, would significantly impact its regulatory activities.,WebsitesWe are not responsible for the content of external sitesLink to Pension Board’s 2013 annual report More than 50 Irish defined benefit schemes have failed to submit funding proposals to the country’s Pensions Board by April, 10 months after deadline, according to the regulator’s latest annual report.The Board, which earlier this year became the Pensions Authority after changes to the Irish regulatory structure, said the health of DB schemes had improved over the past year, with 49% of schemes now meeting minimum funding requirements.According to the annual report, 35 pension funds requested cuts to benefits under Section 50 of the Pensions Act, with 28 of the applications being granted and a further six remaining under consideration.Of the 122 schemes that submitted funding proposals, following the reinstatement of the funding standard from the end of June 2013, 11 needed points clarified by the trustee, and 18 were still being processed.
September 20, 2020
Mumbai: Legendary Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar has pledged to help around 5,000 people for a month in Shivaji Nagar and Govandi area of Mumbai through an NGO amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.“Thank you, Sachin Tendulkar for stepping in and helping Apnalaya help the ones suffering the most during this lockdown. He will be taking care of the ration of around 5000 people for a month. There are many more individuals who need your support, people! Donate now,” tweeted an NGO named Apnalaya while expressing gratitude to Tendulkar and urging others to donate.The 47-year-old, on his part, wished the NGO to continue their work in the service of the distressed and needy. “Keep up your good work,” he tweeted.Earlier, Tendulkar had donated Rs 25 lakh each to the Prime Minister’s Citizen Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situations Fund (PM-CARES Fund) and Chief Minister’s Relief Fund (Maharashtra) in his bid to join the fight against COVID-19.The Master Blaster has been urging people to adhere to the guidelines issued by the government and stay indoors during the ongoing lockdown in place amid the coronavirus pandemic which has claimed around 200 lives in the country thus far. IANSAlso Read: Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli find a spot in Michael Clarke’s listAlso Watch: Hagrama Mohilary organizes a press-meet on Coronavirus situation and distribution of Rations