Governor Wolf Announces $3 Million in State Funding for Continued Development of Schuylkill River Trail Economy, Press Release Philadelphia, PA – Governor Tom Wolf today joined Senator Anthony Williams, Representative Jordan Harris, Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) Secretary Cindy Dunn, and others to announce a $3 million state grant to aid in the development of a 2.25 mile section of the Schuylkill River Trail in Philadelphia.“With the help of our investment, the Schuylkill River Development Corporation will be able to reclaim and redevelop brownfield sites along the river,” Governor Wolf said. “Turning a former eyesore and blighted area into a new and accessible space for city residents, we will create a valuable resource in a currently underserved neighborhood in Southwest Philadelphia.”“The Schuylkill River Trail is one of many solid examples of a city’s vibrancy and a river’s rebirth, and DCNR is very proud to be a longtime partner in its development,” said DCNR Secretary Cindy Adams DunnThe $3 million Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program (RACP) grant will allow the Schuylkill River Development Corporation (SRDC) to complete a $13 million greenway trail project from Bartram’s Mile to Passyunk Point. The scope of the RACP includes land acquisition, remediation, site work, and construction for Phase I and Phase II of the project.“SRDC is thrilled to receive this RACP grant,” said Joseph Syrnick, President & CEO of SRDC. “It allows us to extend the trail into the Elmwood neighborhood, which is currently underserved in regards to open space.”“The Schuylkill River Trail project is a great opportunity for Philadelphia to create a one-of-a-kind experience that will encourage thousands of community members to get outside and enjoy some of the beauty our city has to offer,” Rep. Harris said. “Connecting more neighborhoods to each other via the trail will only increase the neighborly bond Philadelphians share and open them up to new experiences they otherwise may not have had.”“This project will make not only provide open green space within the City of Philadelphia, but will also help revitalize an area in desperate need of improvement,” Senator Anthony Williams said. “I applaud Governor Wolf for approving the funding that will enable this needed expansion of a trail that is a true asset for the city and its residents.”The Schuylkill River Trail is a multi-use trail in Southeastern Pennsylvania with a projected length of almost 130 miles when complete. There are currently over 60 miles of completed trail, including a 30-mile stretch from Philadelphia to Parkerford. The trail accommodates over two million users each year.Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolf October 10, 2016 SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
September 21, 2020
The British and Irish Lions have selected nine Ireland internationals as part of their 37-man squad for this summer’s tour of Hong Kong and Australia. Rob Kearney, Tommy Bowe, Conor Murray, Jamie Heaslip and Sean O’Brien will also be on the plane. Wales star Sam Warburton has been named captain. The Lions open the 10-match tour against the Barbarians in Hong Kong on June 1 before heading to Australia, with the first of three Tests against the Wallabies in Brisbane on June 22. Head coach Warren Gatland admitted the selection process had been tough, saying: “There was a robust debate about the squad and there were healthy discussions for every position. “Some real quality players have missed out. We had a thorough process and it’s been tough.” He did offer hope to those left out, however, saying: “If you look at previous tours six to eight players get injured and there will be a group of back-up players who can be called upon.” Lions squad: L Halfpenny, S Hogg, R Kearney, G North, A Cuthbert, T Bowe, S Maitland, B O’Driscoll, M Tuilagi, J Roberts, J Davies, J Sexton, O Farrell, C Murray, M Phillips, B Youngs, G Jenkins, C Healy, M Vunipola, A Jones, D Cole, M Stevens, D Hartley, R Hibbard, T Youngs, I Evans, R Gray, AW Jones, P O’Connell, G Parling, T Croft, T Faletau, J Heaslip, D Lydiate, S O’Brien, J Tipuric, S Warburton (capt). Centre Brian O’Driscoll, who is on his fourth successive Lions tour, and 2009 captain Paul O’Connell have both made the travelling party. There are also opportunities for a new generation of Lions, players such as prop Cian Healy, while Jonathan Sexton got the nod for one of the two fly-half berths alongside England’s Owen Farrell. Press Association
September 21, 2020
Hodgson was successful with his third kick at goal before Saracens scored another excellent try – Goode and Hodgson making enterprising runs to provide Strettle with an easy touchdown. Connacht suffered a further blow when White was sin-binned for stamping on Barritt in a ruck, with the TMO deciding that a yellow card was a sufficient punishment. This proved costly as with the last play of the half, Brits finished off a line-out drive to give Saracens an 18-6 interval lead. Within two minutes of the restart, the bonus point was in the bag. From inside his own 22, Goode ran brilliantly to evade five defenders before feeding Taylor, whose pass sent Strettle in his for his second try. White returned but it made no difference as the irrepressible Goode again tore apart the visitors’ defence to score a superb solo try. With the game won, Saracens made a raft of changes with five substitutions in quick succession but it did not stop their flow with Kruis forcing his way over for the try which Hodgson converted to loud cheers. Hodgson was replaced by Farrell but this was soon reversed as Farrell left the field with a cut head. However Saracens continued on the rampage with replacements, Wyles, Wray and Johnston all scoring tries before Strettle and Ashton crossed to ensure Connacht were routed. However, Toulouse finished top of Pool Three – leaving Saracens qualifying as one of the best two runners-up and facing a difficult away tie in the next round. Saracens scored 11 tries through David Strettle (3), Chris Ashton (2), Alex Goode, Chris Wyles, Jackson Wray, George Kruis, James Johnston, and Schalk Brits. Had Charlie Hodgson not missed eight difficult kicks, the hosts would have won by an even bigger margin. Hodgson’s misses and two penalties from Dan Parks allowed the Irish to remain in contention for much of the first half – but it was all one-way traffic after Connacht prop Nathan White had picked up a yellow card. Brits and the Vunipola brothers, Mako and Billy, were at the heart of a dominant home pack which enabled star performer Goode and Brad Barritt to impress in the back line. Hodgson was selected at fly-half for the hosts with Owen Farrell on the bench. Duncan Taylor was included in the centre in place of Wyles and there were recalls to the starting line-up for forwards Matt Stevens, Kruis and Ernst Joubert. Connacht opted for experience with Parks, Gavin Duffy and Michael Swift back in the side – and Parks made no mistake with an early penalty. Hodgson was wide with a long-range penalty attempt but soon after the home side led with a well-crafted try. From a scrum 35 metres out, Barritt and Mako Vunipola made penetrative runs which put the visitors’ defence on the back foot. The ball was recycled and a neat pass from Hodgson gave Ashton just enough room for the wing to squeeze in at the corner. Hodgson missed the conversion and declined to attempt a kickable penalty as Saracens chose a more attacking option – but they were not rewarded as Billy Vunipola was unable to force his way over from a line-out five metres out. Despite having the better of the opening quarter, Saracens trailed 6-5 at the end of it after Parks kicked his second penalty. Press Association Saracens crushed Connacht 64-6 to make sure of their place in the Heineken Cup quarter-finals.
September 18, 2020
By Brad Brooks, Eduardo SimõesSAO PAULO, Brazil (Reuters) – Nike Inc. is “very concerned” about a rape accusation against Brazilian soccer star Neymar, the world’s largest sportswear maker said yesterday, raising questions about its sponsorship of one of the sport’s most famous players.Neymar denies the allegation of rape and has said the woman was trying to extort him. The woman appeared on Brazilian TV on Wednesday and said Neymar raped her in a Paris hotel.Mastercard Inc. also cancelled a planned ad campaign featuring the star of the Brazilian national team and French club Paris Saint-Germain, Brazilian media reported yesterday.Mastercard said in a statement it was suspending its use of Neymar in advertising until the situation is “cleared up,” according to reports in Brazil’s three biggest newspapers. The Nike statement said; “We are very concerned by the allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation.”A press representative for Mastercard in Brazil confirmed to Reuters the company had planned a campaign to coincide with this month’s Copa America tournament, but she did not confirm a decision to suspend Neymar’s role.U.S. press representatives for the company did not immediately reply to requests for comment.A police report seen by Reuters showed that a woman had accused Neymar, 27, of raping her at a Paris hotel last month. Sao Paulo police are investigating the accusation.Following media reports on the matter, Neymar posted a long video on Instagram, in which he denied the accusations, said he was a victim of extortion and shared messages he exchanged with the alleged victim, including racy photos he had received.That led police in Rio de Janeiro to open an investigation into whether Neymar had committed a crime by posting those intimate pictures online.A press representative for Neymar did not respond to requests for comment on the Mastercard sponsorship on a Wednesday night interview his accuser gave the SBT TV station.“I was a victim of rape,” she said in her first on-camera interview since her accusation became public.She said that she and Neymar began exchanging private messages over social media, and that he paid for her flight to Paris and her hotel. She said the relationship was consensual at first, but that Neymar quickly became aggressive, began to hit her and forced her to have sex with him without the use of a condom, despite her telling him repeatedly to stop.Some of Neymar’s teammates have come out in support of him, but national team coach Tite declined to pass judgement on the matter.The Brazilian Football Confederation said yesterday that Neymar would be dropped from the national team for the Copa America because of an ankle injury suffered in a friendly match against Qatar earlier.