In a statement claiming UEFA’s investigation was “flawed” and “left little doubt in the result,” City announced plans to appeal. “This is a case initiated by UEFA, prosecuted by UEFA and judged by UEFA,” the club said. “With this prejudicial process now over, the club will pursue an impartial judgment as quickly as possible and will therefore, in the first instance, commence proceedings with the Court of Arbitration for Sport at the earliest opportunity.”Among football leaders calling for City to be punished was the head of the Spanish league who has been critical of how “funding by state-aid distorts European competitions.”“UEFA is finally taking decisive action,” La Liga President Javier Tebas said on Friday. “Enforcing the rules of financial fair play and punishing financial doping is essential for the future of football.”City has never disputed the authenticity of the information contained in internal emails that were published by German media outlet Der Spiegel in October 2018 and shows alleged schemes by the club to allegedly cover up the true source of income in a bid to comply with FFP. February 14, 2020 Associated Press The verdict was delivered on Friday to City following a hearing of UEFA’s club financial control body on Jan. 22. “The adjudicatory chamber, having considered all the evidence, has found that Manchester City Football Club committed serious breaches of the UEFA club licensing and financial fair play regulations by overstating its sponsorship revenue in its accounts and in the break-even information submitted to UEFA between 2012 and 2016,” UEFA said in a statement. “The adjudicatory chamber has also found that in breach of the regulations the club failed to cooperate in the investigation of this case.”The ban has no impact on the women’s team participating in the Champions League.City’s men play Real Madrid in the Champions League round of 16 this month but would not get to defend the title if they lift the European Cup for the first time. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditLONDON (AP) — English Premier League champion Manchester City was banned by UEFA from the Champions League for two seasons on Friday for “serious breaches” of spending rules and failing to cooperate with investigators i n a seismic ruling against one of world football’s wealthiest clubs.The Abu Dhabi-owned team was also fined 30 million euros ($33 million) after an investigation that was sparked by leaked internal correspondence showing City overstated sponsorship revenue in a bid to comply with Financial Fair Play regulations.The punishment prevents City from playing in any European competition, including the Europa League, until the 2022-23 season. It could have a significant impact on the club’s ability to sign players and retain manager Pep Guardiola, whose contract expires next season. “As we discussed, the annual direct obligation for Aabar is GBP 3 million,” Pearce wrote. “The remaining 12 million GBP requirement will come from alternative sources provided by His Highness.”City has already been punished by UEFA for violating FFP, striking an agreement in 2014 that saw the team fined rather than banned from the Champions League for inflated sponsorship deals with companies linked to the club or its ownership.A leaked 2014 email from City lawyer Simon Cliff to a colleague showed the death of UEFA’s lead FFP investigator being celebrated: “1 down, 6 to go.”Since July 2011, UEFA has monitored the accounts of all clubs entering its two club competitions in a bid to curb unfettered spending on players regardless of the owners’ wealth.The first period UEFA assessed clubs for compliance with FFP was 2011-13, when owners were allowed to cover losses up to 45 million euros. A Portuguese judge ruled last month that prosecutors have enough evidence incriminating Pinto for him to stand trial. Pinto is accused of attempted extortion and hacking into secret information held by Sporting Lisbon and the Portuguese soccer federation, including financial dealings.___More AP soccer https://apnews.com/Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports City has been transformed into an English soccer power in the decade since being bought by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, a deputy prime minister of the United Arab Emirates and a member of Abu Dhabi’s royal family, winning the Premier League four times since 2012. City has endured a problematic title defense on the field, sitting second in the Premier League 22 points behind Liverpool. The City Football Group, of which City is the key component, was valued at $4.8 billion in November after U.S. private equity firm Silver Lake bought a stake of around 10% for $500 million. Silver Lake became the second major partner in the group, with a Chinese consortium owning 12% of the equity. There are partner clubs in New York, Melbourne and Yokohama, among others.Questions have been raised about how the leaks were obtained that now cast a shadow on the reputation of City.A Portuguese man, Rui Pinto, has been implicated in the obtaining of damaging information about European football. Pinto’s lawyer, Francisco Teixeira da Mota, said his client has been helping law enforcement in other European countries with investigations into their clubs’ finances.Pinto was extradited last year to Portugal from Hungary, where he had lived since 2015, after Portuguese police investigations concluded he hacked into computers in his home country. He has been held in detention in Portugal since March. UEFA bans Man City from Champions League for 2 seasons The UEFA statement on Friday did not reference any specifics of the evidence that led to the punishment In 2015, Der Spiegel said emails were being sent internally at City showing the manipulation of sponsorship revue from Etihad Airways, the state-owned airline from Abu Dhabi, which is the naming rights sponsor of City’s stadium and training campus as well as appearing on jerseys. The sponsorship was said to generate 67.5 million pounds (about $85 million) annually for City. But City’s holding company — the state-backed Abu Dhabi United Group — channeled 59.9 million pounds back to Etihad, according to Jorge Chumillas, the club’s chief financial officer, in an internal email to club director Simon Pearce.The leaks showed how City allegedly tried to artificially raise its revenue, in one case by 30 million euros, according to emails from 2013 reported by Der Spiegel. Abu Dhabi United Group was alleged to be sending cash to a shell vehicle which was created to supposedly buy the right to use players’ images in marketing campaigns.There were further examples that Sheikh Mansour could have been the source of sponsorship revenue for Abu Dhabi state-owned companies like investment firm Aabar. Der Spiegel cited a 2010 email to Aabar from Pearce, the City director who also works for Abu Dhabi’s Executive Affairs Authority.
January 12, 2020
The People’s Progressive Party (PPP) will keep its promises to the people of Guyana. That assurance was made by the party’s presidential candidate Irfaan Ali on Saturday where thousands of Berbicians turned up at Port Mourant to greet him.“The PPP has a track record of delivering on its promises,” he told the thousands assembled at the Train Line Dam, Port Mourant. On Saturday, Ali spoke of several promises which the coalition had made while on the campaign trail in 2015, but which failed to materialise. Among them were the creation of jobs, opportunities for young people, and that they were not going to close sugar estates.On the contrary to those promises made to the residents of Region Six, the Government once elected moved to close down sugar estates, causing thousands of workers to fall onto the poverty line.“We will reopen the sugar estates, so that there will be more disposable income. That is a promise that I am making to you and you know that the PPP has a track record of keeping its promises. We are not like ‘this Government’, that makes a promise and then go and do the opposite. What did they tell the sugar workers? What did they tell the rice farmers? The Public Servants were given some promises and the Government has now distanced itself from those promises,” Ali said to the thousands of upbeat supporters.Thousands of PPP/C supporters at Port Mourant rally on Saturday“You will see a government that will develop special policies and programmes that will deal directly to the problems of every Region. Just like we implemented a special bill that brought in incentives for investment in Region Ten, we will bring special bills and legislation and implement policies that will create incentives for businesses to invest in Region Six so that we can create new jobs and new opportunities here in Region Six.”Ali promised a positive turnaround in the economy of Region Six when the PPP returns to office. He said this will be possible while urging that everyone ensure they go out and vote on Election Day.“All this Government has done is to take away from the people. They have brought on over 200 new taxes and new fees that have affected your ability to purchase; your ability to participate in the economy because you simply do not have the disposable income,” he said.“Taxes have been increased and included on water, education and medical supplies,” the presidential candidate related while noting that the fees to lease Government land have gone up by 1200 per cent.“We are in the process of developing our manifesto, and you know, Comrades, when the People’s Progressive Party promises you something in our manifesto, we stick by that promise and we fulfil that promise and that is why the first thing that we are saying to you is that we are going to reopen the sugar estates in Region Six,” the 38-year-old said.Ali added that compensation will be given to those families whose lives were destroyed at the hands of the present Government when they snatched their livelihood by closing the estates.“We must and we will do it. We had told the Government that they cannot make a decision about sugar without a social and economy study because sugar is linked to every aspect of life in some Regions.”In Region Six, he noted many businesses are closing their doors while others are downsizing because persons lost their jobs.“People have lost their income so how is it that they are going to shop in the stores, supermarkets, and markets.”The drainage and irrigation system are linked to the sugar industry. With the closure of the Skeldon Estate, rice and cash crop farmers on the Corentyne are being affected because irrigation and drainage. Those systems are becoming clogged.“The industry supported auxiliary services like mechanical engineering as well as gave support to private cane farmers. The industry supported a system that brought economic benefits to all of Region Six.”Meanwhile, while thanking his colleagues for the trust which they showed in him, the presidential candidate told the thousands that the Party’s General Secretary is recognised internationally.“He is an international asset. We should be proud in the PPP that he is our leader. We have to use this asset as much as possible and as long as possible. I commit to you that I will take his counsel. We are a united party,” Ali said before he left the stage. (Andrew Carmichael)
December 27, 2019
1 Antoine Griezmann is set to stay at Atletico Madrid Antoine Griezmann on Thursday evening pledged his commitment to Atletico Madrid, after it emerged Manchester United’s interest in a summer move for the France forward had cooled.The 26-year-old – linked with a host of Europe’s top clubs – took to social media to indicate that he will remain at Atletico, writing (in Spanish): “Now more than ever #Atleti #Alltogether” alongside a photo of him celebrating while playing for the Spanish club.Griezmann’s vow came just hours after Atletico’s appeal against a FIFA transfer ban until January 2018 was rejected by the Court of Arbitration for Sport, meaning they would not be able to replace him if he left.United intend to bring in three or four high-quality additions this summer, but Griezmann had slipped down their list of targets.Jose Mourinho’s side are determined to launch a Premier League title challenge next term after securing Champions League qualification by beating Ajax in last week’s Europa League final.While their admiration for Griezmann was clear, finding 100 million euros (£87million) to meet his buyout looked a big ask as Mourinho’s men attempt to bring in, among other positions, an out-and-out striker with Zlatan Ibrahimovic having possibly played his last match for the club.The 35-year-old Swede sustained serious knee ligament damage in the Europa League quarter-final second leg against Anderlecht in April, and his contract expires this summer.Ibrahimovic’s agent Mino Raiola does not know where the veteran will be playing next season – and another of his clients could well be the man to fill the void.Everton’s Romelu Lukaku has been strongly linked with United and former club Chelsea. The Belgium international has two years left on his existing deal at Goodison Park and has refused to sign a new contract.“Lukaku had a promise that if certain clubs came this summer that he could leave this summer,” Raiola told talkSPORT. READ THE FULL INTERVIEW HERE.“We are not in concrete talks with anybody at this moment, but hearing the market I think some clubs will contact Everton.“If the price is right for Everton and the project is right for Lukaku then I think he will want to make another step, but we are not there yet.”Torino striker Andrea Belotti is another player that has been linked with a move to Old Trafford, so too Alvaro Morata – although a move for the Spain international could be problematic given Real Madrid’s interest in David De Gea.The 26-year-old goalkeeper’s consistent performances have led to admiring glances from the Spanish capital, with Real interested in signing a player they come close to buying in 2015.A deal worth £29million plus Keylor Navas was agreed but the relevant paperwork was not completed before the deadline, with the goalkeeper instead signing a new four-year deal with an option to extend it by a season.United feel well placed to hold onto De Gea this summer, with reports of a bid from Real just days before Saturday’s Champions League final against Juventus believed to be wide of the mark.